Herbal lozenges can be made at home and used just like a cough drop. They can treat an irritated sore throat or a cough. You will feel better knowing exactly what natural ingredients are in your own homemade herbal lozenges.
1. Prepare a 1/2 cup of herbal tea from any herb of your choice. Place it in a glass bowl.
Herbal teas are called decoctions or infusions. Decoctions are made from the bark, root, rhizome or woody parts of herbs. Infusions are generally made from the areal parts of herbs, including the leaves, flowers and stems.
2. Add to the bowl, 1 cup of marshmallow root powder. Stir into a paste.
3. Add 1 ounce of herbal tincture of your choice.
4. Add 3 drops of food grade peppermint oil from the health food store. This is to add flavor to the lozenges.
5. Shape them into the desired size on waxed paper.
6. Label the lozenges and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks.